How Conversational AI is Disrupting Education and Shaping The Future of Learning?
- On 29 October 2020
- In Education
No one could have presaged where 2020 would take us, the last few months alone have churned out more digital transformation than the entire decade. Every industry is already underway finding itself accelerated with this transformation and real change is happening at scale. Education is increasingly becoming mobile, and educational institutions are seeking different ways to enhance learners' experience by implementing technology solutions. Thus, academic learning which was channelized through schools or institutions in conventional format has now got a new look.
Artificial intelligence constantly fills the gaps in learning and teaching and aids personalized and streamlined education. The extended reality, including virtual, augmented, and mixed realities help create different learning opportunities that hold the ability to engage students even further. Virtual classrooms, online exams, online forums, activities, etc. are no longer introduced by few. And undoubtedly has turned out to be the new normal for every growing educational organization.
Decoding Conversational AI -
Conversational AI is an integral part of today’s learning process that is set to transform the education sector.
Conversational AI (CAI) is a subset of Artificial Intelligence that has made natural dialogue between the user and machine a reality. It allows the user and machine to interact in the human language. By using speech-based technology and messaging software in education, CAI has enabled faster response rates and human-like interactions with the student, which in turn has increased student engagement and conversation with the CAI.
With the help of Natural Language Processing, CAI is capable of understanding the intent, determining keywords, and taking appropriate action as per the given algorithm. It places responsibility on the technology interface to learn what the user wants and to adapt accordingly; making it a worthy and appealing investment for educational institutions.
Why Is Now The Time For Conversational AI?
Adoption of CAI in education promises to transform the entire educational landscape; Right from the integration of virtual academic advisor assistants in the mailing system to designing a profile screening chatbot for student candidacy evolution, CAI takes care of everything. Moreover, students are expecting more from institutions to deliver interactive, easy-to-access learning experiences. Hence, integration of conversational artificial intelligence in education will help organizations best align to student requirements, in turn increasing student retention and organizational optimization, while also equipping students with the best digital tools for success throughout their academic career and beyond.
Impact of Conversational AI on Education -
Gone are the days of studious students tucked away in those massive library halls devouring volumes of hardcover books and submitting handwritten assignments to teachers in neatly bound folders. Those colossal books are replaced with a simple search bar providing a wealth of the world’s information and adoption of Virtual classrooms and online exams have changed the entire scenario. But apart from obvious improvements technology has made on today’s global learners, how are conversational AI transforming the education game even further? Let’s find out.
1. Ease of Learning
- AI chatbots can interact with students in any environments through a series of standard text messages or multimedia files
- Lectures can be changed into interactive conversation flows with the help of engagement tools and impressive UI
- The chatbot can continuously access each learners’ understanding level and provide them with the next part of the lecture as per the set algorithm
- The bot can present the students with adaptive assessments
- Assessment results can be visualized on interactive dashboards
2. AI-Based Teaching Assistants
- Conversational bots can act as virtual teaching assistants
- The bot can answer students’ queries as per the given instructions
- Bots can assess the learning progress of students, provide personalized feedback, and recommend more relevant learning content
3. Better Support for Students
- An AI chatbot can help students get information on the admission process, assignment deadlines, event updates, course modules, etc.
- The chatbots can further help prospective students find out more about scholarships, hostel facilities, library memberships, etc.
4. Enhanced Student Engagement
- Integrating AI chatbots on social media platforms allows enhancing the students’ learning process and increase engagement
- These CAI solutions can then act as a medium for student-teacher communication
5. Safe and Secure Feedback
- Conversational chatbots can conduct feedback surveys
- The bot can collect all the feedback and analyze it to highlight the most common points mentioned. This helps teachers identify gaps in their teaching efforts and do better.
- Teachers’ feedback allows students to identify the areas where they need to do some extra work.
Ask Tara - a chatbot for Diksha is one of the Top AI-powered chatbots for government websites. It is an AI conversational tool with automated engagement in the form of personalized conversation which allows users to get queries to common questions and also look for the required content. It connects to Diksha APIs to get content and classification information and answers repeated/basic customer queries without any human help. RASA framework is used to create NLP data which enables it to understand the customer query written in their natural language and answer them immediately. Ask Tara chatbot can be deployed on the web and Whatsapp Messenger.
The education industry is benefitting from AI’s many advantages, with the results being more satisfied and transformative. CAI’s NLP, speech recognition, instant messaging, automation, and predictive capabilities are providing global learners access to personalised and fast-evolving education. Educators are easily able to chart each student’s progress with AI chatbots delivering personalised progress reports in real-time.
And this is just the beginning. Future of AI in education is predicted to be very dynamic and result-driven. As AI continues to advance and optimize its capabilities, we will soon begin to witness a new era of education — the results of which will be a marvel to witness.